This file includes Alligators and Crocodiles, Frogs and Toads, Snakes and Lizards, Turtles, and Snails.
Also see Wild Animals, Dragons and Dinosaurs, Insects, Birds, Pets, Farm Animals, Water Animals, and Fishing.
The Alligator's Children
(Cicely Fox Smith)
The alligator is a creature
With not a single pleasing feature;
And even when it's very small,
It is not cuddlesome at all.
With countless teeth its jaws are set.
I do not want one for a pet.
Songs about Alligators
- Alligator - Grateful Dead (1968)
- Alligator Come Across - Arlie Duff (1956)
- Alligator Jump - Tom Knight and Elizabeth Mcmohan (1995)
- Alligator Man - Marc Ellington (2006)
- Alligators All Around - Carole King (1975)
- King Alligator - Slim Dusty (1988)
- Pink Alligator Rock - Jimmy West (1960)
- See You Later, Alligator - The Swingtips (2008)
The Lady and the Crocodile
She sailed away on a bright and sunny day,
On the back of a crocodile,
You see said she he's as tame as he can be,
I'll ride him down the Nile,
The croc winked his eye as she waved a fond goodbye
Wearing a happy grin.
At the end of the ride,
The lady was inside,
And the smile was on the crocodile.
If You Should Meet a Crocodile
If you should meet a Crocodile
Don't take a stick and poke him;
Ignore the welcome in his smile,
Be careful not to stroke him.
For as he sleeps upon the Nile,
He thinner gets and thinner;
And whenever you meet a Crocodile
He's ready for his dinner.
Songs about Crocodiles
- Crocodile - Jeff Reynolds (2008)
- Crocodile Hunter - Gabe Iglesias (2008)
- Crocodile Rock - Elton John (1972)
- Crocodile Shoes - Jimmy Nail (2005)
- Crocodile Tears - Bandazian (2007)
- Don't Disturb My Crocodile - Peter Xanten (2007)
- Never Smile at a Crocodile - Fred Penner (1998)
- Three Crocodiles, The - Spasenie (2004)
Songs about Reptiles
- Age of Reptiles - Peter Rodgers Melnick (2006)
- Reptile - Eric Clapton (2001)
- Reptiles - Joe Reilly (2007)
- Smile, Reptile - The Loungs (2007)
- We're Reptiles With an Attitude - Twin Sisters (2008)
- The Frog Days of Summer
- I toad you so!
- Toad-ally Awesome
- Toad-ally Cute
- You Make My Heart Leap (frog stickers)
- Frogs are smart; they eat the things that bug them.
- It's not easy being green. (Kermit the Frog)
- Though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, the frogs do not die in sport but in earnest.
- The toad has indeed no superior as a destroyer of noxious insects, and he possesses no bad habits and is entirely inoffensive himself, every owner of a garden should treat him with utmost hospitality. (Celia Thaxter)
- A wart to the wise--don't kiss a toad.
of bush beans
at first and
striped in fine
like a drum
from the top
so I never
I may never
but I'm not
of any prince.
A Green Frog
Said the little green frog as he sat on a log
Nobody really likes me
A duck came along
And said, "You are wrong."
And gobbled him up for tea.
Songs about Frogs
- Big Bull Frog - The Hip Pocket Band (2007)
- Bull Frog - Rick Pickren (2003)
- Bulldog and the Bullfrog, The - Alan Mills (1956)
- Bullfrog Blues - Canned Heat (1967)
- Crazy Bullfrog - Lewis Pruitt (1961)
- Foolish Frog, The - Charlotte Diamond (1986)
- Freckles and Pollywog Days - Ferlin Husky (1974)
- Frog, The - Slim Dusty (1985)
- Frog Hop - The Rhythm Rockets (2002)
- Frog Hop Bop - Mary Kai (2006)
- Frog Hunt - Lloyd George (1962)
- Frogg - The Brothers Four (1961)
- Froggie Went a Courting - Doc Watson (1973)
- Leap Frog - Sandy Nelson (1969)
- Peace Frog - The Doors (1970)
- Poor Little Bullfrog - Tommy Hunter (1963)
- Small Frog, Big Pond - Nick Reynolds (2006)
- Tadpole - Tillman Franks (1963)
- Tree Frog - Count Basie (1976)
Songs about Toads
- Jack the Toad - Savoy Brown (1973)
- Ode to a Toad - Farmer Jason (2006)
- Oklahoma Toad - Dave Frishberg (1969)
- Trevor the Toad - Roonil Wazlib (2007)
- Uncle Toad Said - Gordon Lightfoot (1998)
Songs about Amphibians
- Amphibian - Colleen Power (2007)
- Amphibian Blues - Jordan Lee (1977)
- Amphibians - Johnette Downing (2005)
- Double Life of Amphibians, The - Two of a Kind (2002)
- First Amphibian, The - Mystic Frost (2000)
- What Are Amphibians? - Twin Sisters (2008)
I'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor,
I'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor,
And I don't like it very much.
Oh no, he swallowed my toe.
Oh gee, he's up to my knee.
Oh fiddle, he's up to my middle,
Oh heck, he's up to my neck.
Oh dread, he swallowed my (slurp-swallow).
As I was walking near the lake,
I met a little rattlesnake.
He ate so much jelly-cake,
It made his little belly ache.
Songs about Snakes
- Baby Snakes - Frank Zappa (1983)
- Boa Constrictor - Peter, Paul and Mary (1969)
- Copperhead Road - Steve Earle (1988)
- Crawling King Snakes - The Doors (1967)
- Green Snakes on the Ceiling - Johnny Bush (1973)
- Old Rattler - Richard Mosely (2007)
- Rattler - Santo and Johnny (1964)
- Rattlesnake - The Jimmy Castor Bunch (1968)
- Rattlesnake Bit the Baby - The Free State Ramblers (1972)
- Rattlesnake Roundup - Jerry Clower (1975)
- Rattlesnake Shake - Fleetwood Mac (1969)
- Rattlesnakes and Rusty Water - Rattlesnake Annie (1980)
- Sidewinder - Kai Winding (1966)
- Snake, The - Al Wilson (1968)
- Snake Charmer - Minilogue (2008)
- Snake in the Grass - Don Covay and His Band (1968)
- Snake in Your Boot - The Montesas (2002)
- Snakes and Ladders - Joni Mitchell and Don Henley (1988)
- Snakes in My Boots - Jimmy Heap and His Band (1950)
- Sneaky Snake - Tom T. Hall (1974)
- Spiders and Snakes - Jim Stafford (1973)
- Union of the Snake - Duran Duran (1983)
- Water Moccasin - Matt Lucas (1964)
The lizard is a timid thing
That cannot dance or fly or sing;
He hunts for bugs beneath the floor
And longs to be a dinosaur.
Songs about Lizards
- Big Green Lizard - Sharp Tooth Benny (2006)
- Big Lizards - Mesmer Machine (2004)
- Black Lizard - James Ting (2007)
- How to Catch a Lizard - Larkin Grimm (2008)
- Iguanas and Lizards - Jay Leonhart (1996)
- Leaping Lizard - Michael Henson (2004)
- Little Lizard, The - Kevin Roth (1992)
- Lizard, The - Bill McHenry (2007)
- Lizard Boots - SoulMotor (1999)
- Lizards Hiding Under Rocks - Camerawalls (2008)
- Ridiculous Lizard - The Kagools (2008)
Songs about Iguanas
- Blue Iguana, The - Chris Brian Gussa (2005)
- Dance of the Iguana - Dave Baker (2004)
- Going to Tijuana With an Iguana - Johnette Downing (2000)
- I Wanna Iguana - Recess Monkey (2007)
- If You Wanna Be an Iguana - Identical Harmony (2004)
- Iguana, The - Lenny Welch (1974)
- Iguana - Renaud Gillet (2008)
- Iguana in the Sauna - Dale Ockerman (2005)
- Iguanas and Lizards - Jay Leonhart (1996)
- Itchy Iguana, The - Jill and Michael Gallina (1994)
- Little Iguana - Mauro Picotto (2001)
- Mythical Kings and Iguanas - Dory Previn (1971)
- Night of the Iguana - Joni Mitchell (2007)
- Orange Iguanas - Iguazu (2000)
Songs about Chameleons
- Blue Chameleon - Object (2008)
- Cameron the Chameleon - Mark Holmes (2008)
- Chameleon - Albatross (1999)
- Chameleon Eyes - Rich Martin (2007)
Sammy snail is slowly moving
See him slide across the grass,
He leaves a silver path behind him
We all know when he has passed.
Sammy snail is never worried
Though he wanders far and wide,
For on his back his house he carries
And when he's tired he pops inside.
He cannot fly.
He cannot hop.
He cannot run at all.
But you should see
The way he goes
Slowly up the wall.
He cannot skip
Or race about.
He has one way to go;
And as I watched him
I must say
He's good at going slow.
The Little Turtle
There was a little turtle,
He lived in a box
He swam in a puddle
He climbed on the rocks.
He snapped at a mosquito,
He snapped at a flea,
He snapped at a minnow,
He snapped at me.
He caught the mosquito,
He caught the flea,
He caught the minnow,
But he didn't catch me.
My turtle is a tidy boy!
When he's tired of play
He folds himself up carefully
And puts himself away.
The turtle lives 'twixt plated decks
Which practically conceal its sex.
I think it clever of the turtle
In such a fix to be so fertile.
A Tortoise Called Joe
There was a tortoise called Joe
Whose progress was painfully slow.
He'd stop for a week,
Look around, take a peek,
Then unlike a shot, off he'd go.
Songs about Turtles
- Box Turtle - Lady Radiator (2007)
- Little Turtle - Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones (1958)
- Snapping Turtle - Alexa Woodward (2008)
- Teeny Tiny Turtle - Mark Weakland (2001)
- Turtle and the Rabbit, The - Aloysius (2004)
- Turtle Named Tommy, A - Bobby Susser (1997)
- Turtle Racing - Bob Zopp (2006)
- Turtle Shell - Jonny Lipford (2008)
- Turtle Walks, The - Steve Chastain (2000)
- Turtles - Johnette Downing (2005)
- Turtles and Snakes - Gerry Axelrod (1978)
- Voice of the Turtle - John Fahey (1970)
- Who Put the Turtle in Myrtle's Girdle? - Melody Makers (2007)
- Who Would Understand a Turtle? - Lemuria (2008)
Some of the animal song titles came from Eric's Song Lists
Some graphics on this site are from Clipart Mountain Graphics, Public Domain Clip Art, and Free Clipart Now.