This file includes cattle, chickens, ducks, goats, mules and donkeys, pigs, and turkeys. Also see Farming, Horses and Country Life.
- Animal Farm
- Animal House
- Old (MacDonald) had a Farm
- Party Animal
To the Farm
Horses, donkeys, cows that moo,
Chickens, kittens, piglets too,
Fish that swim down in the pond,
Ducklings quacking all day long.
All these animals you can see
If you go to the farm with me.
The Giving Farm
Hens give eggs.
Pigs give ham.
Cows give milk.
Strawberries give jam.
Bees give honey.
Goats give cheese.
Farms give food,
I'd like some, please.
All Around the Barnyard
All around the barnyard
The animals are fast asleep.
Sleeping cows and horses,
Sleeping pigs and sheep.
Here comes the cocky rooster
To sound his daily alarm.
Wake up sleepy farm!"
Sun is coming up
Farmer's out the door,
He will go to milk the cows,
And start his daily chores.
Sun is going down
Horse is in the stable,
All the fields are planted now,
Supper's on the table.
We're Going to the Farm
We're going to the farm . . .
We'll see the chickens and the ducks;
We'll hear the 'quacks' and all the 'clucks'.
We'll ride a big tractor, and feed a tall horse,
But the best will be the goats, of course!
Songs about Goats
- Baby Goats - Will Bernard (2008)
- Billy and Nanny Goat - Kenny Roberts (1950)
- Billy Goat - Generic Hustle (2006)
- Goat, The - Jesse Farmer (2008)
- Goat Farmer - Inruin (2003)
- Goat Herd - Art Neville (2006)
- Goat Song - Tim McMillan (2007)
- Neat Nanny Goat, The - The Gallinas (1994)
- Three Goats - Judy Nichols (2006)
- Cutting off a mule's ears doesn't make it a horse.
- The Devil's walking parody on all four-footed things. (G. K. Chesterton about the donkey)
- A mule will labor ten years willingly and patiently for you, for the privilege of kicking you once. (William Faulkner)
- I would rather have a donkey that takes me there than a horse that will not fare. (Portuguese Proverb)
- If you don't know where the phrase 'stubborn as a mule' comes from, you have never owned a mule.
- My favorite animal is the mule. He has more horse sense than a horse. He knows when to stop eating--and he knows when to stop working. (Harry S. Truman)
- That which is called firmness in a king is called obstinacy in a donkey. (John Erskine)
- There is no education in the second kick of a mule. (Ernest F. Hollings)
- To carry his load without resting, not to be bothered by heat or cold and always be content: these three things we can learn from a donkey. (Indian Proverb)
Songs about Mules and Donkeys
- Ballad of the Christmas Donkey - Jim Fischer (1999)
- Chinese Mule Train - Spike Jones and His City Slickers (1950)
- Deep-Sea Diving Donkey - The Gallinas (1994)
- Dominick the Donkey - The Hit Crew (2008)
- Don't Worry 'Bout the Mule, Just Load the Wagon - Barber (1968)
- Donkey Ride - Mr. Scruff (2008)
- Donkey Serenade - Laurie Johnson (1998)
- Francis, the Talking Mule - Mervin Shiner (1950)
- Johnson's Old Grey Mule - George Pegram (1995)
- Mule Skinner Blues - The Fendermen (1960)
- Mule Train - The Mule Newman Band (2002)
- New Mule Skinner Blues - Dolly Parton (1970)
- Pin the Tail on the Donkey - Paul Peek (1966)
- Ride Your Donkey - Tennors (1997)
- Sick Mule, The - Jerry Clower (1998)
- White Donkey - Carlos Childe (2008)
- Whoa, Mule, Whoa - Hobbie Whitener (1998)
- Go Hog Wild!
- Hogs and Kisses
- Pig Out
- Pigging Out
- Please Don't Hog the ____
- This Little Piggy Went Night Night
- When Pigs Fly
- If you push a pig down a hill he becomes a sausage roll.
- Why is it that the first thing we do after killing a pig is to cure it?
- Could a small pig be called a 'hamlet'?
Seven piglets, pink and gray,
who could not keep from squealing,
chased each other all the way
from Wichita to Wheeling.
Under fences, over rails,
they raced with one another,
then turned around and twitched their tails,
and hurried home to Mother.
Songs about Pigs
- Cincinnati Dancing Pig - Red Foley (1950)
- Hog Calling Blues - Charles Mingus (1961)
- Hog Went Through the Fence, The - Matt Brown (2006)
- Hogs - Hank El Diablo (2008)
- Kiss a Pig - Ray Stevens (1985)
- March of the Pigs - Nine Inch Nails (1994)
- My Piggy Bank - Brad and Diana (2000)
- Pig - Paul Ballenger (1960)
- Pig in a Pen - Old and in the Way (1973)
- Piggies - The Beatles (1968)
- Piggy - Nine Inch Nails (1994)
- Piggy Bank Boogie - Ray Conniff Orchestra (1953)
- Pigs on the Wing - Pink Floyd (1977)
- Shake Your Piggy Bank - Ah-Choo (2007)
- Swine - Sarah McGreevy (2001)
- This Little Pig - Rocky Mountain Kids (2004)
- Three Little Pigs - Archie Campbell (1965)
- Wart Hog, The - Flanders and Swann (1964)
- We Are the Pigs - Suede (1994)
- Year of the Swine - To the Bone (2008)
- And the Cow Jumped Over the Moon
- How Now, Brown Cow
- I'm in the 'moo'od for____
- Lil Cowpoke
- 'Mooey' Christmas
- Party Till the Cows Come Home
- A Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow
- All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow. (Grant Wood)
- As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. (Joan Gussow)
- Cows are amongst the gentlest of breathing creatures; none show more passionate tenderness to their young when deprived of them; and, in short, I am not ashamed to profess a deep love for these quiet creatures. (Thomas De Quincey)
- I guess cows aren't into the four food groups, especially when they are two of them. (Anthony Clark)
- Look at those cows and remember that the greatest scientists in the world have never discovered how to make grass into milk. (Michael Pupin)
- Nature is amazing. Who would have thought of putting a fly-swatter on the rear end of a cow? (Farmers Almanac)
- Who do you suppose was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
The friendly cow all red and white
I love with all my heart
She gives me cream with all her might
To eat with apple tart
She wanders lowing here and there,
And yet she cannot stray
All in her pleasant open air
The pleasant light of day
And blown by all the winds that pass
And wet with all the showers
She walks among the meadow grass
And eats the meadow flowers
Moo, Moo, Brown Cow
Moo, moo, brown cow have you milk for me?
Yes sir, yes sir, tasty as can be.
Churn it into butter or make it into cheese.
Freeze it into ice cream or drink it if you please.
The Purple Cow
I never saw a purple cow,
I never hope to see one,
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one!
The New Cow
The new cow came though the gate,
and her calf came after, a little late.
No longer willing to be led,
the calf went on ahead,
while she stood to look around
over the hills and lower ground
stood shyly, defiantly there,
smelling flower-fragrant air,
and gazed toward the old cows
grouped on the way before.
Knowing not how she might stay
among them, stranger still,
she hesitated yet, now they had turned
at the foot of the hill
and seemed to wait for her at the gate,
to wait for her who was strange and thin,
till she came on,
and they opened their ranks
to take her in.
Songs about Cattle
- Ain't a Cow in Texas - Dale Watson (2004)
- All Hat, No Cattle - Gene Watson (1997)
- And the Cow Jumped Over the Moon - Raymond Scott (1959)
- Bad Brahma Bull - Tex Ritter (1951)
- Bessie Was a Good Old Cow - Little Jimmy Dempsey (1967)
- Big Hat, No Cattle - Bill Kirchen (1999)
- Bovine Boogie - Mary Kai (2006)
- Brahmas and Mustangs - Ian Tyson (1999)
- Brown Cow - Jack Sheldon (2001)
- Bull and the Beaver, The - M. Haggard and L. Williams (1978)
- Calf-Rope - Guy Clark (1980)
- Cattle Call - Wylie and the Wild West Show (2002)
- Cattle Drive - Bob Braun (1964)
- Cattle Kate - Mary Kay Place (1977)
- Cow, The - Christopher Young (1998)
- Cow Bell Polka - Spade Cooley (1948)
- Cow Cow Boogie - The Judds (2005)
- Cow Pastures - Nellie Eve (2006)
- Cowtown - Webb Pierce (1962)
- Cutting a Rug Til the Cows Come Home - Gary P. Nunn (1989)
- Durham's Bull - Chubby Wise (1995)
- El Matador - The Kingston Trio (1960)
- Fifteen Hundred Head - Slim Dusty (1995)
- Got the Bull By the Horns - k.d. lang (1987)
- Great Matador - Johnny Cash (1963)
- Horses, Cattle and Coyotes - Sons of the San Joaquin (1999)
- How Do You Milk a Cow? - Cledus T. Judd (2000)
- I'll Love You Til the Cows Come Home - Clyde McPhatter (1961)
- I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grand - Jim Hendricks (1995)
- Last Roundup, The - James C. Batchelor (2003)
- Lonely Bull, The - Tijuana Brass (1962)
- Matador - Major Lance (1964)
- Milk Cow Blues - Willie Nelson (2000)
- Night Herding Song - Cisco Houston (1946)
- Old Cowhand From a Blues Band, An - Dave Bartholomew (1956)
- Ox, The - The Who (1965)
- Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow, A - Eileen Barton (1953)
- Purple Cow - Judy Bayse (2005)
- Rustler's Fate, The - The Carlisle Brothers (1933)
- Spotted Cow - Steeleye Span (1972)
- Stampede - Chris Ledoux (1996)
- There Ain't a Cow in Texas - Merle Travis (2001)
- Trouble Among the Heifers - Smitty Irvin and Buck Ryan (1965)
- Wild Bull Rider - Hoyt Axton (1980)
Songs about Trails
- Along the Navajo Trail - The Time Jumpers (2007)
- Along the Santa Fe Trail - Bing Crosby (1941)
- Along the Trail With You - Art and Dotty Todd (1957)
- Antelope Trail - Bobby Morano (2007)
- Black Cat Crossed My Trail - Christine Kittrell (1955)
- Blue Shadows on the Trail - Riders in the Sky (1981)
- Colorado Trail - Connie Dover (1994)
- Down the Lullaby Trail - Riders in the Sky (1997)
- Down the Trail of Aching Hearts - Anita Carter and Hank Snow (1951)
- Early Mornin' Trails - Rusty Richards (2007)
- Happy Trails - Quicksilver Messenger Service (1969)
- Happy Trails to You - Dale Evans and Roy Rogers (1952)
- Long Trail of Tears - George Ducas (1997)
- Oregon Trail - Woody Guthrie (1962)
- Timber Trail - Sons of the Pioneers (1949)
- Trail Less Traveled, The - Mary Ann Kennedy (2002)
- Trail of Tears - Felipe Rose (2002)
- Trail's End - Bill Hayes (1956)
- Yodeling My Blues Away - Wylie and the Wild West Show (2000)
- Utah Trail - Johnny Maddox (2002)
- West of the Rainbow Trail - Montana Slim (1942)
(These work great with sheep stickers or die-cuts.)
- After Ewe
- Baa Baa Black Sheep
- Ewe are Special
- Fleece on Earth, Good Wool to Ewe
- Fleece Navidad.
- Here's Lookin' at Ewe, Kid
- I Get a Kick Out of Ewe
- Sheep Thrills
- There Will Never Be Another Ewe
- Counting Sheep
- Ewe are Loved
- Ewe are So Loved--by ME
- Thinking of Ewe
- Much Ado About Mutton
- Do sheep know when someone's pulling the wool over their eyes?
- God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb. (Laurence Sterne)
- People who inventory sheep probably fall asleep on the job.
- Something to think about: Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
- We make sweaters out of sheep's hair. I wonder what sheep use to make sweaters
- What do sheep count when they can't get to sleep?
Little Bo Peep
Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
And can't tell where to find them
Leave them alone,
And they'll come home
Wagging their tails behind them
Mary had a Little Lamb
(original version is in Poetry)
Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go.
It followed her to school one day,
Which was against the rule.
It made the children laugh and play
To see a lamb at school.
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep
Baa, baa, black sheep
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir, yes, sir,
Three bags full.
One for my master,
One for my dame.
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.
Baa, baa, black sheep
have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
three bags full.
One for your sweater,
and one for your rug . . .
One for your blanket
that keeps you warm and snug.
The Happy Sheep
All through the night the happy sheep
Lie in the meadow grass asleep.
Their wool keeps out the frost and rain
Until the sun comes round again.
They have no buttons to undo,
No hair to brush like me and you.
And with the light they lift their heads
To find their breakfast on their beds.
Or rise and walk about and eat
The carpet underneath their feet.
.-.' `; `-._ __ _
(_, .-:' `; `-._
,'o"( (_, )
(__,-' ,'o"( )>
( (__,-' )
Songs about Sheep
- Baa Baa Black Sheep - Raffi (1996)
- Black Sheep - John Anderson (1983)
- Black Sheep of the Family - Fat Mattress (1970)
- Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep - Demensions (1961)
- Little Black Sheep - Cowboy Church Sunday School (1955)
- Little Bo Peep - Joe Dowell (1961)
- Mary Had a Little Lamb - Rocky Mountain Kids (2004)
- Mary's Little Lamb - James Darren (1962)
- Shearer's Story, The - Slim Dusty (2001)
- Shearing Song, The - Slim Dusty (1991)
- Sheep - Pink Floyd (1977)
- Sheepskin Valley - Claude King (1963)
- Skiing Sheep, The - Jill and Michael Gallina (1994)
- Wolves and Lambs - Jorma Kaukonen (1979)
Page Toppers and Quotes
- Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens
- The Chicken Dance
- Cute Chick
- Fowl Language Spoken Here
- Little Red Hen
- Little Red Rooster
- A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
- A hen is faster than a speeding pullet.
- The rooster makes the noise, but the hen delivers the goods.
Cluck, Cluck, Red Hen
Cluck, Cluck, red hen have you any eggs?
Yes sir, yes sir, as many as your legs.
One for your breakfast, and one for your lunch.
Come back tomorrow I'll have another bunch.
(Lord Alfred Douglas)
The Hen is a ferocious fowl,
She pecks you till she makes you howl.
And all the time she flaps her wings,
And says the most insulting things.
And when you try to take her eggs,
She bites pieces from your legs.
The only safe way to get these,
Is to creep on your hands and knees.
In the meanwhile a friend must hide,
And jump out on the other side.
And then you snatch the eggs and run,
While she pursues the other one.
The difficulty is to find
A trusty friend who will not mind.
I Had a Little Chickie
(to the tune of Turkey in the Straw)
I had a little chickie
And she wouldn't lay an egg;
So I poured hot water
Up and down her leg,
Oh, that little chickie cried
And that little chickie begged;
Then that silly little chickie laid
A hard-boiled egg!
Peck Peck Peck
on the warm brown egg.
OUT comes a neck.
OUT comes a leg.
How does a chick
who's not been about,
discover the trick
of how to get out?
The farm is in a flurry.
The rooster caught the flu.
Has changed to cock-a doodle-choo!
Songs about Chickens
- Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens - Louis Jordan (1946)
- Chicken - Phil McLean (1961)
- Chicken a la Blues - Terry Frank (2000)
- Chicken and the Hawk, The - Daddy's Rebels (1997)
- Chicken Blues - Hasil Adkins (2000)
- Chicken Dance, The - Battle Creek (2005)
- Chicken Feathers - Al Casey (1962)
- Chicken Feed - Bent Fabric (1963)
- Chicken Reel - Chubby Wise (1995)
- Chicken Shack Boogie - Canned Heat (2006)
- Chicken Song - Spitting Image (1986)
- Chicken Walk, The - Hasil Adkins (1962)
- Chickens for Peace - Peter Alsop (1973)
- Chickery Chick - Marcy Marxer (1985)
- Legendary Chicken Fairy - Blanchard and Morgan (1972)
- Little Red Hen - T. Knight and E.h Mcmohan (1995)
- Little Red Rooster - Sam Cooke (1963)
- Rhode Island Red - Little Jimmy Dempsey (1967)
- Stereo Chickens - Jerry Jeff Walker (1973)
The turkey is a funny bird
Its head goes bobble-bobble;
And all he knows is just one word . . .
And that is
Songs about Turkeys
- Five Little Turkeys - Susan Salidor (2003)
- Let's Turkey Trot - Little Eva (1963)
- Little Turkey - Graham Clarke (2008)
- Turkey - Mary Mack (2007)
- Turkey Day - Timmy Wells (2004)
- Turkey Farm - James E. Pless (2007)
- Turkey in the Straw - Riders in the Sky (2007)
- Turkey Tracks - Foghorn String Band (2003)
- Wild Turkey Woods - Mike Esposito (2001)
- Wild Turkeys - Victoria and Zeta Five (2005)
- Be Kind to Your Web-Footed Friends
- Just Ducky
- Lucky Duck
- You Quack Me Up!
- You're Just Ducky
Six Little Ducks
Six little ducks that I once knew
Tall ones, short ones, skinny ones, too.
But the one little duck with the feathers on his back
He ruled them all with his quack, quack, quack.
Down to the river they would go
Wibble, wobble, wibble, wobble to and fro,
But the one little duck with the feathers on his back
He ruled the others with his quack, quack quack.
Into the water he would dive
In and out of the other five
But the one little duck with the feathers on his back
He ruled them all with his quack quack, quack.
Behold the duck.
It does not cluck.
A cluck it lacks.
It is especially fond.
Of a puddle or pond
When it dines or sups,
It bottoms up.
Oh wasn't it a bit of luck
That I was born a baby duck
With yellow socks and yellow shoes
And I may go wherever I choose?
Quack quack, quack quack
Quack quack, quack quack,
We have two ducks. One blue. One black.
And when our blue duck goes "Quack-quack"
our black duck quickly quack-quacks back.
The quacks Blue quacks make her quite a quacker
but the Black duck is a quicker quacker-backer.
(` =~~/ (` =~~/
Songs about Ducks
- Disco Duck - Rick Dees (1976)
- Duck, The - Jackie Lee (1965)
- Duck Walk - Swampy McJunior (2008)
- I Want a New Duck - Weird Al Yankovic (1985)
- Lucky Duck - Coleman 'Hawk' Hawkins (1955)
- Lucky Duck - Sia Labelle (2005)
- Nice Weather For Ducks - Lemon Jelly (2005)
- Pintails and Teal - Charles Lawrence (2004)
- One Lucky Duck - Bill Crosby (2006)
- Six Little Ducks - Raffi (1996)
- Shotgun and the Duck, The - Jackie Lee (1966)
- Ugly Duckling - Shelby Flint (1960)
Some graphics on this site are from Clipart Mountain Graphics, Public Domain Clip Art, and Free Clipart Now.