Also see Success and Failure, Luck and That's Life.
- All things are difficult before they are easy. (Thomas Fuller)
- The best angle to approach a problem is from try angle.
- Be flexible so you don't break when a harsh wind blows.
- Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
- By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task completely overwhelm me. (Ashleigh Brilliant)
- By small and simple means, great things come to pass.
- The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't. (Henry Ward Beecher)
- Don't be afraid to give your best to small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will take care of themselves. (Dale Carnegie)
- Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use. (Earl Nightingale)
- Either I will find a way, or I will make one. (Phillip Sidney)
- Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett)
- The explanation of triumph is all in the first syllable.
- Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently. (Henry Ford)
- Failure is the path of least persistence.
- Feedback is the breakfast of champions. (Rick Tate)
- Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance. (Samuel Johnson)
- Half the failures of this world arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping. (Augustus Hare)
- How bad can impatience be, they named a flower after it?! (Dars)
- I had my patience tested, Iím negative.
- If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. (from Flavia and the Dream Maker)
- If you can't go over, you must go under. (Yiddish Proverb)
- In trying times, don't quit trying.
- It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. (Albert Einstein)
- Living involves tearing up one rough draft after another.
- Lord, give me patience...because if you give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it.
- A lot of us would like to move mountains, but few of us are willing to practice on small hills.
- Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. (Thomas Edison)
- Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat. (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
- Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.
- Our business in life is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
- Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. (John Quincy Adams)
- Patience and tenacity of purpose are worth more than twice their weight of cleverness. (Thomas Henry Huxley)
- Patience is an integral part of talent. (Vicki Baum)
- Patience is idling your motor when you'd like to step up the gears.
- Patience is the companion of wisdom. (St. Augustine)
- Patience will accomplish more than force.
- People seldom see the halting and painful steps by which the most insignificant success is achieved. (Anne Sullivan)
- Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. The race is not always to the swift--but to those who keep on running.
- The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. (Native American saying)
- Quitters never win, winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots.
- The sky's the limit when your heart is in it.
- Some people's minds are like concrete: thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
- Stubbornness does have its advantages. You always know what you are going to be thinking tomorrow. (Glen Beaman)
- Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)
- Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time.
- Success in life comes not from holding a good hand, but in playing a poor hand well. (Denis Waitley)
- Success isn't how far you get, but the distance you travel from where you start
- Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. (William Feather)
- Three failures denote uncommon strength. A weakling has not enough grit to fail thrice. (Minna Thomas Antrim)
- To win all you have to do is get up one more time than you fall.
- Triumph is just "umph" added to "try".
- Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett)
- Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over. (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
- We can do anything we want as long as we stick to it long enough. (Helen Keller)
- What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down. (Mary Pickford)
- When dealing with difficult people remember that as hard as it is to be with them, just be glad you aren't them.
- When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
- When life shuts a door...open it again. It's a door. That's how they work.
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
- When the going gets tough, the tough use duct tape.
- When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
- When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Whenever you fall, pick something up. (Oswald Avery)
- A winner never quits and a quitter never wins
- With knowledge comes opportunity. With perseverance comes success. (J.C. Johnstone)
- You are making progress if each mistake is a new one.
- You are only defeated if you give up one more time than you get up
- You can not fail when trying you can only be defeated.
You fail when you give up!
- You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. (Margaret Thatcher)
- Your last breath should be the only defeat of your life.†(Joseph Shane Bone)
- You're never a loser til you quit trying.
Stubborn or Firm?
Stubbornness we deprecate,
Firmness we condone.
The former is our neighbor's trait,
The latter is our own.
If life give you lemons, make lemonade;
If life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
But if life gives you a truckload of hand grenades . . .
maybe someone's trying to tell you something!
If at first you don't succeed...
- ...destroy all evidence that you tried.
- ...do it the way your mother told you to.
- ...do it the way your wife told you to.
- ...failure may be your thing. (Warren Miller)
- ...see if the loser gets anything.
- ...maybe skydiving isn't for you.
- ...there's always next year.
- ...YOU DID IT WRONG!
- ...you'll get a lot of advice.
- ...you're running about average. (M.H. Alderson)
- ...try, try again.
- ...try, try again. Then quit. There's no use making a fool of yourself. (W. C. Fields)
- If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished.
When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
When you want to smile but you have to sigh,
When cares are pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must,
but don't you quit!
Life is strange with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won if he stuck it out
Don't you give up though the pace seems slow,
You might succeed with another blow,
Often the goal is nearer than
It ever seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And, he learned too late, with a groan and frown,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
You never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So, stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worse that you must not quit.
Try, Try Again
'Tis a lesson you should heed . . .
Try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed
Try, try again.
Then your courage should appear,
For if you will only persevere,
You will conquer every fear.
Try, try again.
It Couldn't Be Done
Somebody said it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing and he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.
Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;
At least no one has ever done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing and he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.
There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
back to top of page
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Songs about Not Giving Up
- Don't Give Up - Petula Clark (1968)
- Don't Give Up on Me - Solomon Burke (2002)
- Don't Give up the Ship - The Tennessee Mountain Boys (1965)
- I Ain't Givin' Up - Joe Simon (1971)
- I Refuse to Give Up - Clarence Reid (1965)
- I'm Not Gonna Give Up - Eddie Holman (1968)
- Never Give Up on a Dream - Rod Stewart (2000)
Songs about Stubbornness
back to top of page
- Born Stubborn - Alice Jago (2006)
- Don't Be So Stubborn - Karacter Kidz (2006)
- Iowa Stubborn - Original Broadway Cast of The Music Man (1957)
- My Stubborn Heart - Onie Wheeler (1961)
- Stubborn - Emily Easterly (2002)
- Stubborn as a Mule - The Griffin Brothers (2003)
- Stubborn Heart - Nilla Nielsen (2006)
- Stubborn Kind of Fellow - Marvin Gaye (1962)
- Stubborn Kind of Woman - Susannah Keith (1999)
- Stubborn Kinda Girl - Genya Ravan (1978)
- Stubborn Kinda Love - Thunder (2006)
- Stubborn Lady - Common Ground (2000)
- Stubborn Love - Kathy Troccoli (1981)
- Stubborn Man - Dawson Cowals (2005)
- Stubborn Old Heart - Tanglefoot (1999)
- Stubborn Woman - Natural Black (2008)
- Too Stubborn - The Marshall Tucker Band (2006)
- Your Stubborn Pride - Jeff Neville (2008)
Songs about Trying
- Another Try - Trisha Yearwood and Josh Turner (2008)
- At Least I Tried - Acrylic Sound Stream (2009)
- Baby, I Tried - June Carter-Cash (1956)
- Be Kind Tryin' - Ray Hildebrand (1967)
- Can't We Try? - Dan Hill and Vonda Shepard (1987)
- Can't We Try Again? - Cab Calloway Orchestra (1945)
- Do it or Die Trying - Darrell Scott (2006)
- Don't Think about Her When You're Trying to Drive - Little Village (1992)
- Don't Try and Change My Mind - Slim Chance (1975)
- Don't Try This at Home - The Players (2004)
- Don't Try to Lay No Boogie-Woogie on the King of Rock and Roll - Baldry (1971)
- Don't Try to Tell Me - Jimmy Payne (1964)
- Even if I Tried - Emilio (1996)
- Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby - The Beatles (1964)
- Give it a Try - Petula Clark (1986)
- Haven't I Tried - Fair Weather (1970)
- I Can't Forget No Matter How I Try - The Cowboy Ramblers (1941)
- I Couldn't Leave You if I Tried - Rodney Crowell (1988)
- I Dare You to Try - The Cascades (1964)
- I Gotta Try - Michael McDonald (1982)
- I Tried - Ron Holden (1967)
- I Tried and I Tried - Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra (1965)
- I Tried Not to Care - Bobby Lee Trammell (1962)
- I Tried to Tell Myself - Al Green (1977)
- I'd Like to See You Try - Lisa Brokop (2000)
- I'll Die Tryin' - Lonestar (2005)
- I'll Keep Trying - Theola Kilgore (1964)
- I'll Try - Alan Jackson (1996)
- I'll Try Again Today - John Entwistle (1999)
- I'll Try Anything - Dusty Springfield (1967)
- I'm an Old, Old Man Tryin' to Live while I Can - Lefty Frizzell (1952)
- I'm Gonna Stop Loving You or Die Trying - Anthony A. Jones (1971)
- I'm Tryin' - Trace Adkins (2001)
- I'm Willin' to Try - Joe and Rose Lee Maphis (1955)
- I've Tried - The Tune Weavers (1988)
- I've Tried to Forget You - Don Rudnickas (2008)
- If That's Not Loving You, You Can't Say I Didn't Try - Ruby Falls (1978)
- Julie, I Tried - The Arbors (1970)
- Just Try Texas - Mike Lord (2007)
- Keep on Tryin' - Poco (1975)
- Let Him Try - Mac Davis (1962)
- Let's Kiss and Try Again - Jean Shepard (1954)
- Let's Try Again - Kenny Smith (1967)
- Let's Try Goodbye - Amy Dalley (2007)
- Let's Try it Again - R.B. Greaves (1975)
- Let's Try Love Again - Gerald Alston (1988)
- Mama Tried - Merle Haggard (1968)
- No Use for Me to Try - Gene Sisco (1957)
- Old Love (Let's Try it Again) - Martha and the Vandellas (1964)
- Reason to Try - Danny Flowers (2007)
- Susan When She Tried - The Statler Brothers (1974)
- Thanks a Lot for Tryin' Anyway - Liz Anderson (1967)
- Tho' I Tried, I Can't Forget You - Wesley Tuttle (1946)
- Till We Try Again - Colin Blunstone (1998)
- Too Late to Try Again - Carl Butler and Pearl Dee Jones (1963)
- Too Late to Worry, Too Blue to Try - Al Dexter (1944)
- Tried So Hard - Flying Burrito Brothers (1971)
- Try a Little Harder - Delaney Bramlett (1972)
- Try a Little Kindness - Bobby Osborne (2006)
- Try a Little Tenderness - The Chieftones (1976)
- Try as You May - The Lomax Alliance (1967)
- Try it - The Standells (1967)
- Try it, Baby - Marvin Gaye (1964)
- Try it Once Again - Weeping Willows (1997)
- Try Just a Little Bit Harder - Janis Joplin (1969)
- Try Me - Billy Burnette (1986)
- Try Me One More Time - Ernest Tubb (1944)
- Try My Love Again - Bobby Moore and the Rhythm Aces (1966)
- Try Some, Buy Some - Ronnie Spector (1971)
- Try the Impossible - The Hearts (1958)
- Try to Forget Her - P. J. Proby (1961)
- Try to Remember - Gladys Knight and the Pips (1975)
- Try Too Hard - Dave Clark Five (1966)
- Tryin' Like the Devil - James Talley (1976)
- Tryin' to Beat the Morning Home - T.G. Sheppard (1975)
- Tryin' to Fool Me - Leonard Lee (1954)
- Tryin' to Get Over You - Vince Gill (1994)
- Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again - Barry Manilow (1976)
- Tryin' to Get There - David Lee Murphy (2004)
- Tryin' to Get to New Orleans - The Tractors (1994)
- Tryin' to Hide a Fire in the Dark - Billy Dean (1993)
- Tryin' to Live My Life Without You - Bob Seger (1981)
- Tryin' to Love Two - William Bell (1977)
- Tryin' to Love Two Women - Oak Ridge Boys (1980)
- Tryin' to Outrun the Wind - Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson (1991)
- Tryin' to Stay Positive - Jim Jacobi (2007)
- Tryin' to Turn Her Memory Off - Bill Kirchen (2001)
- Trying - The Billy Vaughn Orchestra (1952)
- Trying Hard Not to Be Easy - Judy Bailey (1983)
- Trying Not to Break Down - Bobby Womack (1994)
- Trying Not to Love You - Johnny Rodriguez (1981)
- Trying to Do the Right Thing for Anne - Robben Ford (1993)
- Trying to Find Atlantis - Jamie O'Neal (2004)
- Trying to Find My Love - Luther Ingram (1978)
- Trying to Find Someone Like You - Merle Kilgore (1956)
- Trying to Forget - Chuck Rio (1957)
- Trying to Forget About You - Christy Lane (1977)
- Trying to Get to You - Roland White (1994)
- Trying to Make a Fool of Me - The Delfonics (1970)
- Trying to Reach My Goal - Roy Head (1970)
- Trying to Satisfy You - Dottsy and Waylon Jennings (1979)
- Trying to Slip Away - Lloyd Price (1973)
- Trying to Stop Your Leaving - Dierks Bentley (2008)
- Trying to Watch the Wind - Eugene Record (1977)
- We'll Never Know if We Don't Try - Alex Harvey (1988)
- What Are You Trying to Do? - Mother Earth (1969)
- When We Tried - Jan Howard (1969)
- Why Try? - Kaleidoscope (1967)
back to top of page
- You Can Make it if You Try - Gene Allison (1958)
- You Didn't Try and I Didn't Care - Billy Walker (1949)
- You'll Never Know What You're Missing Til You Try - Emile Ford (1960)
- You're Why I Try - The McLain Family Band (1985)
- Young Enough to Want to, Fool Enough to Try - Norro Wilson (1970)