This file is dedicated to anyone who has ever had to be apart from a loved one--whether it is a spouse serving in the military, a child going away to college or a friend who moves across the country.
Also see Solitude, Memories, Songs about Loneliness, Songs about Goodbye and Songs about Difficulties.
- Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire. (Francis de La Rochefoucald)
- Absence is to love what wind is to fire...
it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great. (Comte DeBussy-Rabutin)
- Always leave loved ones with loving words.
It may be the last time you see them.
- Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love, aren't we already there? (Richard Bach)
- Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. (Richard Bach)
- Don't hug me, it only makes me want to never let go. (Allison Mosher)
- Even though we're far apart, you're always in my heart.
- Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. (Kahlil Gibran)
- The fact that everything will be all right, does not necessarily make anything all right now.
- God gave us memories that we might have roses in December. (J.M. Barrie)
- Here in the midst of a lonely abyss
A single joy I find--your presence in my mind.
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. (From Annie)
- I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you.
- I knew that I'd miss you.
I just didn't know I'd miss you as much as I do.
- I know the night is not the same as the day; that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started.
- I miss you a little, I guess you could say, a little too much, a little too often, and a little more each day.
- I miss you more than anyone has missed anyone else in the whole history of the world...and I've got the phone bill to prove it.
- I thank God on every remembrance of you.
- I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can play together all night. (Bill Watterson)
- I wake to the absence of your presence after another night of sleeping alone.
- I wouldn't mind being lonely...If you were here to keep me company.
- If it's a small world after all...how come we're so far apart?
- If you were here, or I was there, think how much fun we'd be having! I miss you!
- I'm here. You're there.
One of us is in the wrong place.
- Life is so short, so fast the lone hours fly,
We ought to be together, you and I. (Henry Alford)
- Loneliness is the first thing which God's eye named not good.
- Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart. (Kay Knudsen)
- Magic is when two friends walk in opposite directions but still stay side by side.
- Memories are a gift to be opened when those we love are far away.
- Miles can't separate hearts that care.
- Miles may separate us, but somewhere our souls are holding hands.
- One form of loneliness is to have a memory and no one to share it with. (Phyllis Rose)
- The one good thing about not seeing you is that I can write you letters. (Svetlana Alliluyeva)
- Our hearts are next door neighbors though our homes are miles apart.
- Right next door, or miles apart,
friends are always close at heart.
- The simple lack of her is more to me than others' presence. (Edward Thomas)
- Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.
- Thinking of you I get an empty feeling...right in the middle of my inbox!
- Today and every day, you are in my thoughts and in my heart.
- Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists...When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence. (Goncourt)
- Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion. (Dylan Thomas)
- True friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance.
- What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you. (Richard Wilbur)
- When I see you smile and know that it is not for me, that is when I will miss you the most.
- When you left, a part of me went with you...and do you know how hard it can be to get spare parts?
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. (Edna St. Vincent Millay)
I Don't Miss You
I don't miss you.
Nope, I don't miss you at all.
The way we used to have those long chats . . .
And laugh all day at the jokes we'd send
The way I just knew I'd have a message from you every day.
I don't miss any of that. But my computer . . .
My computer really misses hearing from yours.
Just kidding--I miss you like crazy!
H ow are you
E verything all right?
L ike to hear from you
L ove to see you soon
O bviously I miss you
Today I was reminded of you
taken back to a special place in time
and as I thought of you
a certain sort of sadness filled my heart.
Even though the memories
we have are beautiful
and thinking back on them
fills my heart with joy;
my eyes also swell with tears
because we are so far apart
and I miss you so very much.
The Voice of Silence
Listen to the wind when I'm not there to be with you,
for as it dries your tears away it will tell you of my love!
As you walk in the fields when I'm not there to walk with you,
listen to the lark as it sings of my love for you!
When late at night, and I'm not there to hold you,
dream of tomorrow, and you will find me there!
(from "The Muppets Take Manhattan")
Saying goodbye, going away
Seems like goodbye's such a hard thing to say
Touching our hands, wondering why
It's time for saying goodbye.
Saying goodbye, why is it sad?
Makes us remember the good times we've had
Much more to say, foolish to try
It's time for saying goodbye.
Don't want to leave, but we both know
Sometimes its better to go
Somehow I know, we'll meet again
Not sure quite where and I don't know just when
You're in my heart, so until then
It's time for saying goodbye.
See the Home file for information on making a Going Away album.