The files are arranged with Significant Days first, then Months, then Weeks. Official Holidays are in red.
I included 'unofficial' holidays. It is always good to have a reason to celebrate or something to make you think. I didn't make up any holidays but sometimes gave them a name - such as for inventions.
The dates of some holidays change from year to year. I tried to find a pattern, such as the first Wednesday or second Sunday and include the correct day for the next few years. There is some duplication of days. Sometimes different groups designate different times to recognize the same issue.
Many links are to the home pages of websites in case the individual page address changes. Often holidays are under "press releases" or "announcements".
Originally I tried to have at least one link for every entry, including links to recipes on all food-related days. However, that was a problem because it took a lot of time replacing broken links. Now when I find a broken link I delete it and only replace or add links when someone suggests one.
Some people may see no reason to 'celebrate' something like "Hemophilia Month" or "Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month", but the fact that there is someone working to promote awareness of specific diseases is something to be happy about.
Here are some of sources used to compile this website and sites for more info.
- All Recipes - Recipes for just about every food-related day on this website.
- Any Day in History - Find out literally hundreds of facts about any day of the year.
- Brownielocks and the 3 Bears - This site lists Official Holidays only.
- Gone-ta-pott.com - This site has a HUGE list of holidays and observances.
- Holiday Insights - Holidays, famous birthdays, this day in history and trivia.
- TheTeachersCorner.net - Written for teachers but good ideas for parents on what to do on various holidays.
- Those Were the Days - Historic events, birthdays and chart toppers for each day (especially entertainment, music, sports and politics).
Copyright © 2009-2017 Denny Davis